Thursday, January 31, 2008

A tag from Dr. Monkey

Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?
Poisonwood Bible

If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise) My parents and Molly Ivins. I’d love to tell Mom and Dad everything that’s happened since they left, and tell them a thousand times over that I’m sorry for everything I did or didn’t do. Then Mom and I would hoot and holler with Molly Ivins while Dad smirked.


You are told you can't die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it's past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave? Crime and Punishment


Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you've read, when in fact you've been nowhere near it? Great Expectations – some friends have made analogies between my Grandma and Mrs. Haversham. I’m working on it now, one little chapter at a time.


As an addition to the last question, has there been a book that you really thought you had read, only to realise when you read a review about it/go to 'reread' it that you haven't?
Nope

You've been appointed Book Advisor to a VIP (who's not a big reader). What's the first book you'd recommend and why?
Ishmael – to understand what the human race is facing.


A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Italian, so I can understand my in-laws. I think they’re talking about me.

A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?
I already do that!! The Education of Little Tree, A Christmas Carol

What's one bookish thing you 'discovered' from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?
I’ve discovered that I still have so many books to read.

That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she's granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leatherbound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.
Walls lined with dark wooden shelves, full of books, all easy to handle. Some are oversized art/architecture books. Most are just thumping good reads. I don't need first editions or signed copies - just the plain old books is fine. Good sized windows to let in the sunlight with heavy velvet drapes to draw closed on cold winter nights. An open dictionary right in the middle of the room. A large library table with great seating all around. A computer for internet access. Large comfy overstuffed chairs with side tables, ottomans and reading lamps. Some are chaise lounges. Warm blankets and throws. Thick oriental rugs over hardwood floors. An enormous wood-burning fireplace. Several pair of reading glasses at each table. A kitchenette with coffee, half and half, tea, and wine available. And of course this is all located quite near the kitchen.



You are tagged now too!

2 comments:

Coaster Punchman said...

I love these questions - very creative (and I like your answers too.)

I loved Ishmael, and I am about to blog (sometime soon, at least) about how its sequel, The Story of B, has changed my life. You should read that one if you have not (or wait for my Blogger review of it and then read it, although who knows, by this point I may have set it up too much.)

Mnmom said...

A sequel? I'm there