Friday, December 19, 2008

Broke-Ass Soup: the recipe


Here's my recipe for Broke-Ass Soup:

2 cups any variety dried beans - I buy a mix of peas and beans
1-2 lbs beef stew meat
water
Heaping spoonful soup base, like "better than bouillon" or just use beef bouillon
1/2 cup flour seasoned with any combo of: salt, pepper, onion powder, seasoned salt, garlic powder
Veg oil
2 (15ozs) cans diced tomatoes - if one of them is chili-ready, all the better! WITH juice.
1/2 large white onion, chopped
1/2 red pepper, choppped
1/2 poblano pepper, chopped - or any other pepper, could even used canned green chilies.
Seasonings: seasoned salt, black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, garlic salt, whatever sounds good to you! Don't be shy with the seasoning.
Herbs de Provence

The day before: rinse and drain the beans. Cover with water and let sit over night.

Assemble the soup:
Drain and rerinse the beans, drain again, set aside.
Put the seasoned flour in a bowl or ziploc bag. Add the stew meat. Toss and coat the meat.
Put enough veg oil in your soup pot to just cover the bottom. Heat on medium high, until you see ripples in the oil. Add the stew meat, with flour, and barely brown.
Add 2.5 qts water and a heaping spoonful of soup base.
Add the drained beans and canned tomatoes, juice and all.
Bring that to a boil, then add onion, peppers, and seasonings to taste. I think the herbs de provence really added something special.

Slow simmer this on your stove for over 3 hours. Seriously.

You could use any meat with this: ham hock, sausage, or just go vegetarian!

Those dishes have nothing to do with this post - I've just always coveted Lenox Holiday china. Remember, I said there would be gratuitous Christmas images this month! Here comes another one!

6 comments:

Missy said...

Love all the pictures. That Santa on the airplane is hilarious, clever and terrifying for the children!

Anonymous said...

I've been trying to eat healthier, meaning not so much meat, so I've been making lots of bean soups lately. Busting Ass Soup is more like it. Seriously, it's like the Chamber of Farts around here.

Miss Alex said...

Hello!

I'm your secret santa ... I'm taking part in Monkey Mucks Secret Santa and I got you I'm supposed to tell you to come and see your gift on my blog... God I hope I did this right...

themom said...

That looks like my od Scotty camper...from centuries ago!!!

tshsmom said...

LOL, "broke-ass" has been my style of cooking ever since we got married. I've started sharing economical recipes on my blog too. We all need to pull together to survive this miserable economy!

Anonymous said...

We all need to pull together to survive this miserable economy!
___________________
Julie
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!