Sunday, December 15, 2013

No Calorie Christmas Cookies


Did you seriously believe I'd make cookies without calories??  

It's just not the Holiday Season for me if I don't make an obscene pile of cookies.  Or as my daughter's call a large amount - a SHIT TON of cookies.  Last year I told you about Mocha Chewies - those I'm making later this week.

Today I made Chocolate Crinkles, those lovely dark chocolate sweets you roll in powdered sugar before the oven.  I may make spicy gingersnaps later.  But first was my absolute new favorite; Peppermint Sugar Kisses!  Make these - your cookie plate will be the hit of the year.

1.5 cups of powdered sugar
1 1/4 cups butter, at room temp
1 tsp peppermint extract - this is TOTALLY optional.  I don't add it and I think it would kill the cookie.
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses
Regular sugar
About 30-40 unwrapped Hershey's Candy Cane Kisses

Preheat the oven to 350.  Make flat space in your frig or freezer for ALL the cookies to cool.  The freezer really is best, or if you live in a very cold climate and have a table in your screened porch, even better.  I had to use the frig - the kisses melt a bit but they are still yummy.

In a large mixer bowl, combine powdered sugar, butter, extract(s) and egg.  Beat at medium speed, scraping the bowl often, until creamy.  In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add that to the wet mixture and beat, scraping sides as needed.  Dough will be a bit crumbly.  Stir in the chopped kisses.

Shape dough into 1" balls, roll in regular sugar, and place 1 inch apart on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper*.  Bake for 10-12 minutes or until set - in my oven that takes 15 minutes.  As soon as they com out of the oven, press a Kiss in the center of each cookie.  Put them in the freezer/frig/porch immediately so the Kiss will set.

*If you do not use parchment paper, just start.  Seriously.  It's a must for cookies, but also for tuna melts, frozen pizza, etc.  Makes clean up so much easier.  And you don't need to buy the fancy-schmacy stuff at gourmet stores.  Get plain old Reynolds brand or store brand at the grocery store.  You'll thank me.


4 comments:

Cheesecake Maven said...

I'm not baking much at all.....but now you've put me in the mood to bake! Thank you!!!

Cheesecake Maven said...

I'm not baking much at all.....but now you've put me in the mood to bake! Thank you!!!

Dr. Monkey said...

Nom nom nom.

Coaster Punchman said...

Nice job. Christmas cookies are for some reason just too much damn work for me.