Sunday, April 12, 2009

Creme Brulee French Toast Saves Easter

I made the cutest darned treasure hunt for my kids instead of the usual egg hunt. I made these darling little cards with bunny stickers, and funny rhymes directing them to the next clue. It ended with the sweetest gift bags, that I mentioned in my last post.

You would have thought I arranged to have the Grim Reaper come in and bludgeon them to death.

OK, maybe it wasn't that bad. But I've decided that no parent can possibly please 15-year-old girls. Unless they exist in a TV sitcom where all problems are solved within 30 minutes and no one wears sweatpants with dress socks nor displays bed head. Like Michael always says, where is that car aerial when I need it?

But they DID enjoy the creme brulee french toast and so did I. It was indeed a hit. That photo is not mine, but it comes pretty close. This is some good stuff; easy and impressive - just like I like my recipes.

CREME BRULEE FRENCH TOAST

1 stick butter
1 cup packed brown sugar
2 T. corn syrup
1 loaf french bread or Challah
5 large eggs (I suppose you could use egg beaters)
1 1/2 cups half & half (I imagine whole milk might work here)
1t. vanilla
1t. Grand Marnier
1/4t. salt

In a small heavy saucepan, melt the butter with the brown sugar and corn syrup over moderate heat, stirring, until smooth. Then pour into a 9x13x2" baking dish. Cut the end from the bread, and cut enough 1" slices to fully fill the pan. Arrange bread slices on the butter layer - it's OK the squeeze them in a little.

In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, half & half, vanilla, Grand Marnier, and salt. Pour evenly over the bread. Cover the pan and chill for at least 8 hours or overnight.

Let the pan come to room temp for about 15 minutes. Preheat oven to 350. Bake uncovered until puffed and edges are pale golden, about 35-40 minutes.

This is so rich, you don't need syrup. Fresh strawberries are nice! Next time, I'm going to use a large platter, loosen the toast in the pan, then invert the whole thing onto the platter. This way I won't lose one drop of the wonderful sauce on the bottom.

10 comments:

michaelg said...

That is the gayest french toast I've ever seen. ;o) And I can say that beause I know gay.

Unknown said...

Oh my word! This sounds great! I want to make this stuff now...LOL.

As for 15 year olds...........ugh, I know what you mean!

Joe said...

That sounds goooood.

Life As I Know It Now said...

You are the French Toast Queen! If that didn't please 15 year olds nothing would.

themom said...

Please 15 year olds??? That is hilarious. But the french toast looks absoltely scrumptuous.

Churlita said...

That looks wonderful. I have a 15 year old and a 17 year old and I think you can extend that statement to say, "no parent can possibly please a teenage girl".

Sheleta said...

you are such a creative momma! we colored three eggs, that was it. find those three eggs, let's get back in the house. you need to have a mommy class for women like me.

Cheesecake Maven said...

I boiled 18 eggs, packed them in the cooler for trip to relatives home, didn't get around to dyeing them at all, hauled them back home in the cooler, ate them for the next TOO MANY days. Easter morning, the kids woke to find: Axe body wash, Irish Spring body wash, and Fruity-Tooty shaving cream. I'll let you decide who matches up with each one. Remind me to tell you something about Easter when we talk again...hee, hee hee hee. You won't believe it. Oh, wait, yes you well, all too well.

Missy said...

Genius!

Anonymous said...

Creme Brulee French Toast Saves Easter
___________________
Julie
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!