Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Christmas Books, with recipe


I love Christmas! And I love Christmas books.
Each year, I take out my favorites and reread.

Today's feature is: Four Midwestern Sister's Christmas Book, by Holly J. Burkhalter.

Schmaltzy and syrupy and I love every single word. It's the authors story of Christmases with her large family in Ames, Iowa and their love of baking, music, books, family, and snow. Plus the author worked for Human Rights Watch in DC, which speaks volumes to her humanity.

This book is like a worn-out but much-loved quilt wrapped around me. It reminds me of my two midwestern sisters, and cousins, grandmas, etc. although we're not quite that nice. Plus it's chock full of recipes that are wicked good. When my sister-in-law joined the family I searched the internet high and wide to find this out-of-print gem, and I finally found one much over the original price. If you have a copy, hold on to it, they are rare.

I'll share a recipe that I've tried - yummy!

CRANBERRY COCKTAIL MEATBALLS

Meatballs:
2 lbs ground round
1 cup cornflake crumbs
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
2 eggs
2T. soy sauce
1/2t. pepper
1t. minced garlic
1/3 cup ketchup
1/2 cup finely chopped onion

Sauce:
1 can (16ozs.) jellied cranberry sauce
1 bottle (12ozs.) chile sauce
1T. brown sugar
1T. lemon juice

Mix meatball ingredients together in a large bowl. Form into walnut-size balls and place in a large square baking dish.
Preheat oven to 350. In a sauce pan, mix together the sauce ingredients.. Stir and simmer until the cranberry sauce melts. Pour over the meatballs and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Serve in a chafing dish.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

oh it looks so good! I am going to check our library...

Unknown said...

The book looks really sweet! I love to read Christmas theme books this time of year.
Thanks for the recipe.

Cheesecake Maven said...

I JUST made those meatballs in preparation for the big party this Saturday! I also had enough left over to make as a meatloaf for dinner last night, yum yum!!! The Hot Buttered Rum recipe in that book is also super! Love you!

themom said...

I'm saving this meatball recipe. I love quickie type recipes for the Holidays.

MommyLisa said...

The sauce sounds better than my hubby's.

He does a jar of plum jelly with equal amount of mustard. It is good, but I love cranberry.

Missy said...

A recipe and a book review! I love the internet! I love meatball dishes at parties too!

Sheleta said...

so you don't think i'm fat enough--you give me recipes for meatballs to fatten me up even more? do you just believe i need the weight gain so i can fit more comfortably in my maternity clothing? girl why am i printing this out NOW so i can go and get all the ingredients for dinner tonight? i was wondering what i'd cook for shawn and andrew to eat--something different and this is PERFECT!

Anonymous said...

Christmas Books, with recipe
___________________
Julie
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!