Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Day in the Life

This morning started with an unfortunate but rather hilarious espresso accident.  You may recall I got a lovely cappuccino maker for free.  I hadn't used it in a while, so dove right in without responsible adult supervision.

Heed my advice, where explosive and potentially dangerous steam-under-pressure is involved, get the damn manual.

I pulled something apart when I shouldn't have and created the mother of all coffee explosions on the kitchen counter.  Ever tried to wipe soggy finely-ground espresso beans from every single nook, crevice, horizontal AND vertical surface in your kitchen?  Especially when they've been blown there by force?  Espresso and safety FAIL.

Fortunately no one was hurt.  But I seriously saw my life flash before my eyes.

The morning was redeemed however by popovers with almond butter.  Courtesy of my unauthorized co-blogger Shan, here is the recipe.  They are so incredibly easy and wonderful that they may soon become illegal.  I top them with Almond Butter, which is just a stick of softened butter, about 1T of powdered sugar, and just a drop of almond extract all mixed up.

Today I plan to harvest the onions, carrots, and basil from the garden.  I'll probably end up impaling myself on a tomato support or strangling myself with the hose.

Some days I'm like a walking accident.

7 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

Oy. I've been there. The worst part of the espressosplosions is that you're still uncaffeinated when you have to do the (considerable) cleanup. I hope you eventually did get a cuppa from the machine!

Agreed re. popovers. Holy cow good.

Shannon said...

OMG. And thanks for the recipe shout-out.

SkylersDad said...

Glad you didn't get burned!

lisahgolden said...

I'm glad you survived.

MommyLisa said...

OMG! I sooooo am going to have to make those! ARGH!

MommyLisa said...

FYI - Costco only has the powdered creamer stuff. French Vanilla - 192 packets about $9.

Churlita said...

I'm right there with you. I'm just going to have to buy myself a plastic bubble to keep from wrecking myself.