Sunday, December 18, 2011

You Can't Have Too Many Cookies

COOKIE DAY 2011 was all by myself.  I'm just too busy this season to join up with my dear friend MG for our annual gig.  Instead I had a sugar frenzy in the kitchen between laundry loads.  I also managed to clean out the frig and freezer.  You see I have 6 extra Italians coming for Christmas, including 4 actual adults.  And that's going to require some frig space.  The mud room and deck will be my cold food back up.  And of course I don't want my mother-in-law to see all the food I've let get moldy.

Every year I try out some new recipes.  This year I made lemon-pistachio refrigerator cookies.  For you non-bakers that means you roll the dough into a tube about 1.5 inches across, slice it, and bake.  This recipe was underwhelming.  Not enough sugar.  Kinda tastes like play-dough.



Next up was Mexican Chocolate refrigerator cookies.  These lovelies were dark chocolate with a hint of cayenne pepper and cinnamon.


Also made the ubiquitous pretzel-and-candy thingies, and some sugar cookies.


But the hit has to be the Mocha Chewies.  Amazing.  Packs a luscious chocolate/coffee hit.  And they are so easy I'm afraid to admit it.


MOCHA CHEWIES
1/2 c evaporated milk
1T. instant coffee (I would just a bit more)
1 c. dark chocolate pieces (get the good stuff)
1 c. marshmallow creme
1 15oz pkg Oreos or something similar, finely crushed
1 c. powdered sugar
1 c. chopped nuts (I use pecans)
1 c. semi sweet chocolate chips
1/3 c. whipping cream

Lightly grease a 9x9 inch pan.  In a small sauce pan heat evap milk and coffee over low heat, stirring until coffee is dissolved.  Add the dark choc and mm creme.  Cook and stir until melted and smooth.  Remove from heat.   In a large bowl combine crushed cookies and powdered sugar.  Add melted chocolate mix to cookie mix and stir until combined.  REALLY combined.  Stir in nuts.  Spoon into the prepared pan and spread evenly to the edges.
In a micro safe bowl combine the chocolate chips and cream.  Micro until barely melted.  Stir smooth and fully melted.  Pour over mix in the pan, spreading into an even layer.  Chill about 1 hour or until set.
Cut into tiny bars, about 3/4" x 3/4".  They are intense!




 This is the magazine photo, but mine are just as pretty.

 The aftermath

11 comments:

E. Anne Larson said...

MMMM, salivating as I read. My GOD woman, where do you get the energy. Hope your time with your Italian family goes famously!:)

BeckEye said...

Wow, you could start your own version of the Girl Scouts, minus all the boring scouting stuff and just focusing on the cookies.

Cheesecake Maven said...

Made the Mocha Chewies - intense to say the least!! Thanks for the recipe! Also made bourbon balls tonight from the Four Midwestern Sister Christmas Book, but dipped them in chocolate around the bottom and edges and then sprinkled tops with powdered sugar. MMMMMM!

Shannon said...

Yuuuuuummmmm! Those Mocha Chewies are calling my name! As if I need more treats in my house! But omg!

Shannon said...

p.s. don't forget you can totally borrow my slow cooker. let me know when you need/want it. we're around!

Kireliols said...

I pinned you as the cookie Maven on my pinterest. =) You are astounding.

Life As I Know It Now said...

Those cookies do look good!

Oh and I've changed my name from Liberality to Life AS I Know It Now.

Happy Holidays! And pass me some of those cookies ;)

Churlita said...

Wow. That's a lot of cookies. They look so good!

Treats said...

I'm totally making the Mocha Chewies! Yum.

Churlita said...

Merry Christmas!

Treats said...

The Mocha Chewies are beautiful and tasty according to my family (not gluten free for me). Thanks for sharing the recipe! Now, I want to make your Bailey's. Yes, indeed, a few stiff ones make relatives much easier to handle (or ignore).