Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Red beans and rice in the crock pot

"Oh Lordy, she's givin us another recipe.  Doesn't that woman have any actual THOUGHTS in her head anymore?"

Yes I do.  I think of all kinds of great posts while I'm in the shower or trying to get to sleep.  Don't judge me.

While you wait for my lazy butt to blog something of substance, how about eating something of substance?  And how about it's something easy to make in the crock pot? Even better, right?  Don't say I never give you anything.  This recipe was found on pinterest which led me here, because we should all give credit where credit is due.  My alterations are in red.

CROCK POT RED BEANS AND RICE
1 pound red beans - or more if you are going vegetarian.
7 cups water
1 green bell pepper, chopped - I used two because I'm a rebel.  And one of them was red.  I like to stick it to the man.
1 medium onion, chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped - I didn't have any.  We don't need no stinkin celery!
3 garlic cloves, chopped or minced - I used 5 because 3 is nothing in my world.
2 cans Campbell's chicken broth - I used Better Than Bouillon and 2 cups of water.  Bouillon is one of those words I always have to spell check.
1-1/2 pounds sausage  - I used Turkey sausage in the ring, cut in 1" slices.  You could totally skip this and make it vegetarian.  I would add more beans.
2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning - this packs some wonderful heat. So take it to 1 tablespoon if you don't like spicy things
Hot cooked rice - for later.  I used brown rice.

Rinse the beans and pick out any stones.  And by the way, I've never ever found stones in my dried beans. Have any of you? Put them in the crock pot
Add everything else EXCEPT the rice.  Give it a good stir.  Cook all day on low.
Serve it in bowls, and let eaters add as much rice as they want.
TIME SAVER HINT - I cut up everything the night before and put it in a bowl in the frig.  Also the night before, I put all the water, seasoning, and Better Than Bouillon in the crock pot.  In the morning I gave the liquids a good stir, rinsed & added the beans, and added all the cut-up ingredients.





2 comments:

brewella deville said...

I find at least one pebble in every batch of beans I buy. I haven't ever cooked red beans, though. Odd, considering how bean mad I've been lately.

Fran said...

No pebbles for me either. This recipe sounds great! Thanks!