Thursday, September 10, 2009

YIKES is the new normal

Started the new job this week - a study in patience and perseverance. Of course, I can't blame the school system. I'm coming from employment at a ritzy liberal arts college where they send an ergonomic expert, fer cryin out loud, to make sure your desk area is just perfect.

And where there was a snack bar with an espresso machine.

I understand the kiddos need to eat healthy, and the public schools need to promote that, but couldn't we have a clandestine Starbucks in the back room for the grown ups??? One that sells Rice Krispie bars too???

Still looking for a rental, with 1.5 months left.

The van has decided it needed a new starter, and the "tie rod" or whatever it is is going out on the front tire.

Locked myself OUT of the van, at home, for the first time in forever.

Have to use up all my medical flex account at Carleton RIGHT NOW or it becomes an after-tax expense.

Soccer games, school fees, kids' social lives, packing, meals, more packing, leaving my home, . . . .

Did I mention YIKES?!!!!!!

10 comments:

Unknown said...

The new job will take adjustment, and living without expresso.......it will come.
I'm glad you were able to short sale your house, and I'm keeping good thoughts on you finding a rental. Take care.

Christopher Tassava said...

Hang in there! Err... Continue to hang in there?! I hope something comes up on the rental front... I'll keep asking.

Kireliols said...

Thinking about you! All your stress and you still have a sense of humor. You will survive- hey hey!

Shannon said...

There must be a special circle in hell for the person or persons responsible for the fact that you are dealing with MOVING (well, finding a rental first!) at the very same time you are starting a new job, getting your kids into the new school year, and dealing with a broken car. TORTURE!!!!!

Seriously, I would die without access to good coffee. When I worked for the Edina school district, there was no coffee bar for miles and miles. Luckily my job was a district-wide consultant type position which involved lots of off-site meetings and driving around. I hit the Starbucks drive-thru at 50th and 100 quite often.

Shannon said...

P.S. Good luck and I hope you end up renting on our street! We love you and are thinking about your family EVERY DAY!

Mauigirl said...

Good luck at the new job and I'm sure you'll find a place to live in time...something will pop up that will be just perfect.

Thinking of you!

Churlita said...

Hang on. I'm wishing really good things for you guys. I hope you guys find the perfect house.

I work for a state university and we don't have snack bar or espresso here either.

themom said...

Good luck on the rental hunting. The "tie rod" issue needs to be addressed, my daughter was almost killed when hers gave away and she careened across three lanes of traffic. Please be careful!! Have a great weekend.

lisahgolden said...

I'm pulling for you. I know your situation pretty well, it seems like where I was about a year ago - climbing over the stickshift of my car with the stuck driver's side door, new job, imminent move, the constant money troubles. I want to tell you it gets better, but there are no guarantees. It's a little better here, but it's a slow process.

You have friends - lean on them, okay?

Missy said...

Oh man, have chocolate covered SOMETHING, will travel.

Isn't soccer a medical expense? I could have sworn....