Friday, September 11, 2009

Idiot or Stress?

The new job is exciting but LOTS of information coming at me. And as I've mentioned about 10,000 times we're packing to leave our house at the end of October with absolutely no idea where we'll go. Sweet Jebus I'm so sick of all this.

Anyway, today when leaving work I start digging for my car keys . . . they are GONE! My first thought is I've locked them in the car again, like I did earlier this week. But then I remember that at least this time, I have my purse with me and therefore the spare key. So I keep walking to my car with my spare key in hand. But the car isn't there. Oh, that's right, I parked over HERE today. Car's not there either. OH CHRIST! Did I drop the keys and someone stole that piece of rust? Will the insurance be enough for a new one? When your car is stolen, do you call 911 or the non-emergency number? Who's going to pick up the kids at school?

All this time I'm wandering the parking lot dazed and confused.

Then I remember.

The van's in the shop.

Idiot or stress? It's anyone's call.

And the shop bill was $225.

6 comments:

SkylersDad said...

Stress has that effect, I have been there before. Try and breathe deep, give yourself a few moments every now and then to just relax as much as you can. You can't keep the motor at redline all the time.

Missy said...

STRESS! Oh honey.

Shannon said...

I remember that when I was in graduate school, during the most stressful periods (i.e., defending master's thesis and doctoral dissertation, starting clinical residency, etc.), I would without fail lose my car keys, ID, etc., multiple times. It was totally predictable. I happened all the time! Or I'd get all the way to the hospital and find that my office key was at home in my apartment. It was crazy, but clearly stress related.

I was up from 3 a.m. on last night--we should have gotten together and had coffee or a drink or something! ;) Of course, my stress is nothing compared to your stress. But it still keeps me awake.

Also--I very much remember what it's like to start a new job, when the incoming info is so prolific that your brain becomes totally exhausted. Starting new jobs always makes me need about twice as much sleep as usual. It's as if my brain cannot process it all without extra rest. I am reminded of that this week as I watch Julia begin kindergarten (twice as many hours per week in school as she's ever had before, plus much more structured than nursery school also) and see her be completely wiped out every day.

Hang in there! It will all be OK.

Life As I Know It Now said...

Major life changes, such as moving and starting a new job, really do increase your stress levels. Brief deep breathing should help. Maybe a positive affirmation to focus upon when you need to settle your mind down. It's tough so hang in there. :~)

Churlita said...

I'm spacey when I'm not stressed-out, so in my world, it could be either.

Treats said...

I've done worse...don't feel bad. The cops were a little peeved after I reported my car stolen and it was a block away in a different parking lot. Oh boy...I'm glad it was 20 years ago because I can laugh about it now!