Monday, February 4, 2008

Mnmom: The Ralphie Years



I was just cleaning out a closet and found this gem. I was probably 8, so it would be 1970. Starting on the right, we have me. Complete in my favorite plush coat and long stocking cap. The glasses however were not my favorite. I was cursed with the worst eyesight imaginable and have been wearing the ugliest glasses since first grade.

Next we have my World Class Best Friend Bethany. Bethany is now the coolest, hippest single woman living in a gorgeous 7 bedroom home in Boston. I miss her greatly. We were best friends through all of childhood and college. She knows all my warts and loves me still.

Next we have an unknown - it might be my sister Cheesecake Maven, but I have my doubts. That kid is too tall to be my little sister.

Next is Bethany's kid brother Mike.

We are enjoying a lovely winter afternoon at our small town skating rink. That was THE social spot in the cold months. I always enjoyed the groovy graffiti left by the big kids in the warming shack, and looked forward to the day when I could be cool like them. All warming shacks at outdoor ice rinks smell the same, and the odor takes me right back to childhood.

4 comments:

Cheesecake Maven said...

Sorry, that is definitley not the Cheesecake Maven with you at the rink. First of all, if you were 8 in that photo, then I would have been wearing the bright orange furry coat and a long-tailed stocking cup, and you're right, I'd have been about a foot short than that little girl. Now it's going to bug me though if we don't figure out who she is, I sure don't recognize her. Could it be Mary M? Fun photo from the past!!!

Missy said...

Darling! And yes, I live in Mpls and I love it!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

What a great picture. I wold have had a major crush on you if I had known you when you wore those glasses.

Mnmom said...

I was kinda cute under those coke-bottle bottoms