Saturday, February 9, 2008

Signs of the Apocalypse

Must be the end of the world approaching . . . I'm about to say something I never thought would leave my pen or mouth.

I'm defending the Republican Party.

What am I defending them for? This ridiculous idea that they are splintered and therefore dead in the water. It's the same thing "they", meaning the vulture media, said about the Democratic Party in the last presidential election.

The Republican Party is full of folks with a wide variety of ideas about economics, health care, the responsibilities of government, etc. And this naturally brings forth a variety of candidates seeking the nomination. Since when is it a crime to have a multitude of different ideas? Since when is it wrong to have a choice of candidates?

This multifaceted approach to government is the vary basis of a healthy society and a healthy government. When groups start to lock down to new ideas, especially ideas that create controversy and heated debate, we end up with facism. Now the Republican Party is hardly my idea of a bastion of new ideas, but at least there is variety among the conservatives. They aren't all alike. And for that I'm grateful.

1 comment:

Melissa Foster Denney said...

Apocalypse indeed. The Repugs are going to have to do the same thing the first Clinton did - ignore the extreme because they have no where else to go.