Monday, August 31, 2009

Maslow can kiss my behind


The very bottom of Maslow's hierarchy is really no place for a woman my age with three kids to support and a houseful of furniture and dishes. I don't know if I'll ever see the top.

We're still searching for new housing. Since we put up our beloved home for a short sale, there has been a flurry of activity, as in showings every day. Last summer, our house was worth $359G's. Now it's listed for $175G's. The fact that the bank will take that kind of money in a short sale, but wouldn't renegotiate to our proposed $225G's is leaving me more than just a little bitter. Yes, bitter and angry.

But I must remain positive and focused. Here are the choices left to us now:

1. A wonderful fixer-upper with great bones and a double lot. An investor friend will buy it and rent to us for a year, then we'll pay off with a loan. We are still searching for an investor to put up the $ needed for renovation. If you know one, send them my way! This place is great and I know I'd love living there.

2. A small, and I mean small, townhome to rent. It needs nothing - move in ready - but small. But our kids can ride the bus to and from school, and everything else is a bike ride away. AND it's just doors down from two of my best blogging and real-life pals.

3. A large townhome to rent that needs work, but the owner wants us to do work in lieu of some rent which is a GREAT deal. But it's quite far away from everything we do. AND the school wouldn't bus my kids from there.

Wonder if Maslow had these kinds of problems?

UPDATE: Option #2 was just rented to someone else

12 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

Man, real estate is the WORST - especially when your bank is playing stupidball. I like option #1 for you guys, but option #2 sounds pretty good, too! (Though the re-saleability of townhouses isn't the greatest...) I can't wait to hear more!

Shannon said...

Hmmmm, I am assuming the small townhouse is near us? (Or, wait--don't tell me WE'RE not the great friends you referred to... ;) ) You know you want to live next door to us. You know you do. :)

Shannon said...

Also: that scenario with your bank is INSANE. Seriously insane. I canNOT believe that low price is on your house. Your big beautiful house with the great yard and the great location! What?! And so why wouldn't they renegotiate with you back then? It makes no sense whatsoever!

themom said...

I've noticed how the housing prices have gone down around here...but all property taxes are still based on the higher appraised value. DUH!?!? I say revolt!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

I didn't realize kissing your behind was an option. Next time let a monkey know, will ya?

SkylersDad said...

Damn! The doctor beat me to the best line, I just hate that...

Hang in there, and sorry option 2 went away because that would have been my vote.

Johnny Yen said...

Okay, here's a funny coincidence-- today's lesson in nursing school focused on Maslow.

Hope all your needs come true.

Billie Greenwood said...

Angry and bitter describes me when I read this. Your commitment to remaining positive is beyond my comprehension...and it commands my total respect. This is pure bull you-know-what. Option #1 sounds like really creative thinking to me. You're a remarkable person. I better go calm down now.

Life As I Know It Now said...

You are #1 so pick #1!

Yeah, I liked #2 too but it's gone now. Face it, it was too small anyway ;~))

Churlita said...

I still don't get that deal with the bank. It's so dumb.

Good luck on your options. # 1 sounds good to me, but I'm not at all learned on matters of real estate.

Unknown said...

I have no wisdom, but I can say that banks and foreclosures just BITE~!!!
Thinking of you.

Tiago said...

I hate realtors and banks. The national scenario is horrible because of this guys, many families are sufferring and all they care is about profits. Many people may think that "this is normal, this is how the system works", but this is not true. Many countries after crisis decided to support people first and banks later, then they avoid a having a nation of homeless. And I am not speaking just of nordic countries, poor countries also did this kind of decisions.
A friend of mine who lives in Argentina explained me how the country has solved the 2001 crisis. He had big loan debt for a furnished apartments buenos aires he had bought years before. After the crisis as this debt was in dollars it increased enormously because of peso devaluation. Scenario looked catastrophic for him; but a government decision changed that; government made that all debts remained in pesos at the current valor; many banks suffered or crushed but the country started to grow stronger than never.