Saturday, December 25, 2010

Buche de Noel Success!

I've been wanting to make an authentic Buche de Noel, aka a Yule Log Cake, for many years.  Last year's was a disaster when the genoise cake fell apart.  This year however - SUCCESS!  I used my own trustworthy scratch cake recipe and buttercream frostings.

Here is the "log" before decoration.


And behold!  A lovely log from the snowy forest floor!
 I set Twin #2 to the chore of molding the marzipan.  According to my direction, she created luscious edible mushrooms and pine cones.   The whole thing was as delicious as it was pretty.

Can you spy cupcake eyeing the results?

We've decided this is a new tradition. So fun and so rewarding.
Our Christmas Eve guests had to bail with the flu, but we had a warm and merry time thanks to the spiced wine, chicken parmesan, shrimp scampi, and Buche de Noel.
This has been a wonderful Christmas - wishing the same for you and yours.

4 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Happy holidays to you. One day maybe when we overthrow the banksters and the incumbents, everyone can have a truly happy Christmas.

SkylersDad said...

Looks wonderful!

Charlene said...

That looks like a fabulous cake! I would never attempt it but I would buy oen at a bakery!

lisahgolden said...

That looks fantastic! Well done.

I'm glad you had a merry Christmas.