Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Best Gifts of Childhood #2


Next installment:
The Birds the Bees and the Monkees.

My first ever real live album! I was five and so totally in love with each of the Monkees it was embarrassing. Except Mickey - he kind of scared me - yet I couldn't completely turn away from him. All that raw sexuality and wild hair was just too much for my kindergartner brain.

Like every young girl, Davy was my favorite. Probably because he topped out at about 5' and had a high tenor voice so was somewhat childlike and nonthreatening.

Mike was just the epitome of cool, and Peter was the total nice guy. Peter Tork aka Peter Thorkelson was a Carleton student for one year here in Northfield MN, until he flunked out. For many years there was a Peter Tork pool table lounge in his honor.

Hey Hey It's The Monkees! - my favorite childhood band.

6 comments:

Kireliols said...

ooo- I loved them too! I had their greatest hits on 8 track!!

MommyLisa said...

I got BEAR HUGGED by Peter Tork about 10 years ago. He is SO SUPER STINKING NICE that you forgive him his stint in the Federal Penitentiary for drugs.

;)

Life As I Know It Now said...

Ah yes, the glories of youth :D

Unknown said...

You were just too cool! I had 2 older sisters, so I was introduced to the Elvis and The Beatles very young.
I used to buy 45's, remember those, but my preteen idols were Donny Osmond, David Cassidy, and Bobby Sherman............all that hair!!!

Churlita said...

That's great. My sister loved Donnie Osmond and wouldn't stop playing his album, so my brother and I put it up on the roof in the Summer and we lived in Arizona. It made a great ash tray after that.

joe said...

I have an uncle that sort of resembled Mickey, except my uncle has no hair.