Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holiday Coleslaw

Thanksgiving was a blast - literally.   As you know my family is a bit, well, back-woods.  Educated backwoods, but we still proudly carry our white trash genes.  So of course Thanksgiving near some open fields means get out the shot guns and clay pigeons cuz dinner's over and it's SHOOTIN TIME!  My first time ever shooting off something larger than a BB gun, and I hit 3/3!  I myself uttered "We need more ammo!". 


To the feast I added the veggie tray, coleslaw, and red velvet cake.  The coleslaw was a huge hit and everyone wanted the recipe so I've posted it below.  The magazine photo made it look a lot more red and green, but it was mighty tasty.

MNMOM'S HOLIDAY COLESLAW


6 cups thinly sliced green cabbage
2 cups thinly sliced red cabbage
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c sugar
3/4 c buttermilk
1/2 c mayo
1/4 c lemon juice
1/2 c dried cranberries
1/2 c pistachio nuts, chopped
2 clementines or tangerines, peeled, divided into segments, and chopped
S&P to taste


Combine cabbages and onion in a large bowl.
Mix sugar, buttermilk, mayo, and lemon juice in a small bowl until smooth.  Pour the buttermilk mix over the vegetables and toss to coat.  Fold in the cranberries, nuts and clementines.  Season with S&P.  Let stand for at least 1 hour or refrigerate for up to 8 hours before serving.

5 comments:

Kireliols said...

Sadly, my girls won't eat coleslaw but I may make it anyway. Let them eat peanut butter- no wait, that is a luxury item now...what is the new poor food?

Mnmom said...

Kirelimel - potatoes.

Kireliols said...

Let them eat potatoes!!! I was worried it might be cabbage and then I'd really be screwed.

Anonymous said...

We shoot clay birds as often as we can. The competition is fierce, but good natured. Did you know lots of Ivy League schools have trap and skeet teams? I wonder if they give scholarships for that.

SkylersDad said...

My military background in firearms was pretty much confined to missiles and torpedoes, both of which make a mess of clay targets.