Saturday, February 9, 2008

Watch the clip above. Before you roll your eyes at another song from the New Christy Minstrels, hear me out. I really love this song and the lyrics just speak to me. Consider all the times in your life when you wish you had "cherished what's mine today" instead of thinking about the next school day, the next party, what was on TV, etc. Here's my list - mostly from my youth. I have become a great deal more grateful and present in my adult years. I'd like to see yours. If you listen while you list, it enhances the experience.

1. Eating food cooked by my Mom. Now that I'm the Mom, I can deeply appreciate her home cooked meals on the table every night. What I wouldn't give to be sitting at her strange kitchen table with it's bad lighting, having some pot roast with her.

2. Talking with my Dad. Sometimes he wanted to tell me a story, and I was just too cool, too tired, too busy to listen all the time. Now I have so many questions for him that will never get answers.

3. Living under one roof with my siblings. We had lots of fun and fights but I didn't appreciate how fleeting those years would be. I was in a hurry to grow up.

4. My young, strong, healthy body. I'm in pretty good health and not quite ready for the nursing home, but my teenage body was lovely and all I did was complain about it.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Oh what I would not give for a second chance with my teenage body!!

Well, I guess I would not give much as I do not spend nearly enough time at the gym nor do I have great self-restraint!

I am going to have to ponder my list!