Monday, February 18, 2008

A Sad Cold Day



We made a very sad and adult decision today. Given our current state of financial crisis, we have canceled Spring Break in Myrtle Beach SC. We belong to bluegreen vacation club, and last October put our points in for a nice condo on the beach in late March. So the lodging is paid for, but we just don't have the cash to get there nor to continue eating each day, which is kind of important to us. We made our announcement to the kids and they were incredibly calm and reasonable about it. It's all the more crushing since we have nothing to look forward to right now but more bone-achy cold Minnesota winter.


One option is to take the kids to the Wisconsin Dells, but frankly I'd rather chew on tin foil. Just looking at the pic reminds me what it involves - gross, fat, white Midwesterners in ill-fitting swimsuits - and that's just my husband and I. It also means sharing space with 154,000 other kids and their screams, saggy swim diapers, and toe jam. And each day will entail at least one trip to the outrageously over-priced snack bar to have cranky teens sell me nachos and corn dogs. I can feel the heartburn now.

I need the ocean, I need the sand, I need the sun, I need to go barefoot, I need fresh seafood, I need warm salty air, I need grits and shrimp, I need to sleep with the windows open and hear the waves. Not this year I guess.

13 comments:

michaelg said...

Come get a massage with me instead and drag Kirlimel along. I can get each of you in at an introductory rate of $39.95. Sweet! Then we can lay around at my place and I'll turn on my winter depression light to simulate the beach. Fun???

Kireliols said...

I can dig out some sand from our sandbox...it may have the neighbor's cat's "treats" in it but we can pretend they are clams.

Mnmom said...

That sounds really, really good. Can we turn on a space heater and lay right in front of it??

Mnmom said...

My next free Saturday is March 22 - no kidding. Is it a date????

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Tell ya what, if I hit the Powerball or Mega Millions jackpot, you and your family can come down to the beach house in North Carolina that I'll be buying and you can stay as long as you like.

Missy said...

That is a sad, responsible decision.

I have a winter depression light too, so you can come to my house second. We can watch weekend at Bernie's so you can remember the downfalls of beach life.

Mnmom said...

Monkey and Missy - thanks millions

Cheesecake Maven said...

So we're not the jet-set . . . we're the old Chevrolet-set. Courtesy of John Prine and Iris DeMent(ed) - In Spite of Ourselves. Yeah, we would love to be feeling that warm sugar sand between our white dry toes and feel the waves hitting our lefse legs about now, but alas, reality hits and a hot soak in the tub will have to do this year. I may even go down to the tanning beds and take a 20 minute ride, maybe I'll dream of the beach while I pay to damage my skin. And we do this because we are CRAZY from winter!!!!

michaelg said...

Let's pencil in the 22nd. Kirelimel?

David Oppegaard said...

I've been to Myrtle and, frankly, I wasn't impressed. Everything costs $500 dollars. Even a burger.

Coaster Punchman said...

Oh, I'm sad too now. Does this mean you lose your points?

Good call on the Dells though.

kim said...

Hi Mom,

You could consider Chula Vista. It's a little nicer than the other spots in the Dells, and they have a lot more indoor pools. The bar and steakhouse are nice....I take my daughter their and my step son...and I am picky about lodging and being around other people's feet.

vbmomster said...

We postponed our spring break also! Guess what? We also belong to Blue Green! That fateful day at the sporting event, I never knew how much we had in common! I get a kick out of your comments and posts. I am starting my own blog, but am a novice in the design area!
Perhaps I will see you in the next couple weekends at the sporting event? We have lots to chat about!