Saturday, November 22, 2008

Movies that scared the crap out of me

A friend and I were talking about Bette Davis the other day, and remembering being scared half out of our wits by "Whatever Happened to Baby Jane" and "Hush, Hush, Sweet Charlotte". Baby Jane Hudson especially gave me nightmares. We'd sit with our homemade popcorn covered in butter, in our pj's, covered with blankets on the sofa getting so totally creeped out that we'd fight over who had to get up and close the drapes over the now-dark windows. Every time she fed Blanche the rat I'd pee my pants. And every time I'd squirm and root for Blanche to hurry up, hurry up!!!!! HIT HER already!!!

It wasn't until my 20's that I discovered Bette Davis was quite the young bombshell in her time.

8 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Baby Jane scared me as well. I never saw the other one.

Coaster Punchman said...

I don't think I ever saw "Hush Hush Sweet Charlotte." I will put it on my to-do list immediately.

Anonymous said...

Those psycho thrillers get me every time.

michaelg said...

I love both of those movies. Campy classics.
The reason Baby Jane probably freaked you out so much is that it is about sisters. Picture the Littlest Sis in a babydoll dress, Dolly Madison curls and bad makeup. "I didn't bring your breakfast because you didn't eat your din-din." Eeeeeeeeek!!

themom said...

Two of my ultimate favorite movies. My sister and I would sing "I've written a letter to daddy" all around the house till our parents locked us in the closet. I honestly think the only thing that scared me the most was Bette's whacko make-up. And I loved her in "Hush, Hush..." Great movies of their time.

tshsmom said...

I didn't realize that Bette Davis was a bombshell until I heard the song "Bette Davis Eyes". Up to that point I thought her eyes were creepy. ;)

Anonymous said...

Wasn't Victor Buono just perfect in that movie?

Anonymous said...

Movies that scared the crap out of me
___________________
Julie
Lock in your price today for Your favorite

channels - and keep it there until 2010!