Sunday, June 29, 2008

Wall-E was good!

Took the youngest to see Disney's newest feature last night - it was surprisingly good!! Lots of social commentary - even had my 9-year-old considering her habits and America's trends. From the mega-giant entertainment complex that is Disney, I can't believe they let this script go by. Either someone there has a soul, or someone was asleep at the wheel.

Poor little Wall-e is a humanoid trash compactor who lives on in a desolate abandoned trash filled future city that was completely controlled by a large corporation named BnL, short for Buy-n-Large. BnL has sent all remaining humans into orbit where they grow fat and lazy buying evermore BnL products.

This movie was so much better than I expected - excellent adult humor, like when the President tells the obviously dying future citizenry to "stay the course". Again, can't believe this got by the Disney censors. Kids love it too, but I wouldn't take anyone under 8 - there are some sad situations, and certainly the prospect of a trash filled, ecologically mangled earth unable to sustain human life would scare the bejeesus out of younger kids.

Yes, there are cutsey Disney moments but all in all a fabulous movie right down to the Van Gogh styled art in the ending credits. So find a kid to take or just go on your own. I'll watch for your opinion.

9 comments:

Christopher Tassava said...

I was just saying to Shannon tonight that I wanted to see this movie when it hit Northfield; your review confirmed it. Maybe tomorrow night!

Cheesecake Maven said...

If it is still in town this Saturday, maybe we can all go again? See you Thursday night! Mike and boys are coming up earlier on Thursday, and Ruth Anne and I are coming up late Thursday night.

Some Guy said...

I've heard good things. I never go see stuff in the theater, but I might make an exception for this one.

Missy said...

I look forward to seeing this film and I am glad for your seal of approval!

Sheleta said...

OK, if you like it, we're going to try it out. We went to see Kung Fu Panda without getting a recommendation and everybody in our house hated it. It was awful! The interactive CD that we picked up free at Bes Buy was better than the actual movie

Mnmom said...

Kung Fu Panda just looks too stupid for me to stomach - I told the youngest she'd have to wait for that one on DVD.

Kireliols said...

Husband took the girls to Wall-e and they all loved it. I get to take the gals to Kit Kitteridge. I'm excited about that.

Mnmom said...

We're also looking forward to the Kit movie.

Johnny Yen said...

I'm eager to see this one!

Frank Rich, an editorialist at the New York Times, saw the movie and wrote that the movie deals with the upcoming environmental crisis more than any politician.