Monday, June 2, 2008

Birthday Party Camp Out

Our youngest had her 9th birthday party over the weekend. She requested a camp-out sleepover in the backyard, and her birthday wish was our command.

Here is Mr. Wonderful, aka my husband John, cooking up supper on the campfire. We love our fire pit. Most of those rocks were gathered from right around our house, and during the last 4 years we've made a tradition of bringing home large samples from our travels. So somewhere in there is a specimen from the Rocky Mountains, the shores of Lake Michigan, and Daytona Beach.

Couldn't resist this shot - all five have exactly the same hair! Well, except our daughter on the far left who has layers and layers of the stuff. Once at a restaurant, she hid 6 crayons in there and you couldn't tell. Now that's an accomplishment.

See that tent lean? That's because two adults, married to each other, tried to put it up together. Although I must say, if I hadn't been there he'd still be working on it.

Next up Birthday Cake Cones!! Just fill ice cream cones about 1/3 up with cake batter and bake for about 20 minutes. Yeah, that's my fat belly in the photo and no I didn't eat any of the cake.

My screened porch and the center of our universe from May through September. I love this house, and it's ripping my heart out to have it on the market.

Sadly a thunderstorm blew in shortly after supper, so the "camp out" happened in the basement, and the smore's were cooked in the microwave. Ever seen marshmallows puff up in the microwave?? It's quite impressive.

7 comments:

Joe said...

I love these pictures! That fire pit is cool. What a great idea! The last big thing I need to do in the backyard now is repair the screen house. I had to order a new canopy and braces for it after I failed to take it down early enough last fall.

Seriously, those pictures really put me in the mood for summer.

Some Guy said...

Great shots! I remember having a backyard camp-out birthday party as a kid, too.

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Happy belated birthday MNDaughter.

Shannon said...

I agree that these photos have a real wonderful summer spirit about them. LOVE your screened porch! Can't wait to see it in person!

Kireliols said...

I have to post a photo of the back of my nine year old's hair- again, we are eeriely similar...spooky.

LOVE LOVE LOVE your house! Don't ever move because I want to finally make it for coffee someday. I want to be the lazy slug you can't get rid of on your screened porch!!

Happy birthday to mini-mnmom!

Missy said...

I love the birthday cones! And the tent. Have you seen the first tent my love and I put up together? The first time we went camping...we arrived at the campground at midnight because my love was stuck on his work. There in the bug and darkness he realized he forgot the tent poles!

I have a picture...I think you have seen it.

I hope no one wants to buy your house!

michaelg said...

You and John are the best! Little L will always remember this one.