Sunday, June 15, 2008

RIP Grandma Gie

This morning at 2:30am, my Grandma Gie went home. She was 96 years old. There just isn't enough blog space to tell you all how much she meant to me.

She was born Margaret Rose in a very small town in northern Iowa. She married young and raised seven children on a poor farm alongside the love of her life, my grandpa Lloyd, during the Great Depression. Both had high school educations, with a life-long love of learning and the written word. She could quote classic poetry and literature. She could play piano like a pro, and by ear. She could whip anyone's butt in poker, 500, and word games. She made food that would make the Pope weep. She lived to a ripe old age with all her mental faculties intact, and lived to see 22 grandchildren, and at last count about 100 great and great-great grandchildren. She smoked like a chimney and ate all the wrong foods. Her humor was legendary. I want to grow old just like her.

I'm going to miss her more than words can say. She's my hero. Walk with God Grandma.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

She sounds, and looks, like a real pistol. Sorry for your loss.

michaelg said...

So sorry to hear about Grandma Gie. I was just talking to Ruthie a few weeks back about her. She sounds like she was pretty great.

janban said...

Sorry for your loss. Was that your maternal grandmother? What a cool picture! It says a lot about her spirit.

Missy said...

I am sorry to hear about your Grandma...what a woman!

Kireliols said...

I am so sorry for your loss- we really should get to keep our Grandparents forever.

Fran said...

Please know how sorry I am to hear of your loss.

What a remarkable woman she must have been. You honor her well here.

I send good thoughts and wishes of healing, peace and consolation for you and your family.

Some Guy said...

My condolences, MNMom. It sounds like she had a great life full of people who loved her.

Shannon said...

Our deepest condolences to you and your family. We were just talking about her last weekend! Your gram sounds like an amazing woman! We are thinking of you!

Christopher Tassava said...

Ditto all the way down. If that picture's any indication, the world's a poorer place. I hope you're doing okay!

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

What a great dame. Goodbye Grandma.

Unknown said...

What a great tribute! She looks like she lived life to the fullest!