Tuesday, February 3, 2009
Blah Blah Blah Randomness
Not much going on, so I'll pass the time with some random thoughts.
1. I don't like Valentine's Day, never have. The screaming reds and pinks in the stores bother me, and I get a stomachache looking at all the candy. It seems rather rude to play up a "holiday" with the objectives of selling lots of cheap crap and stuffed animals and making folks without a significant romantic other feel like losers.
2. Why do we expect the GOP to accept the latest election and realize their practices just don't work and were rejected by the electorate? They are only human, yes with flawed philosophy in my opinion yet still mere mortals. The elections of 2000 and 2004 certainly didn't make US think that liberal thought had been rejected, and that we should therefore roll over and die away. It made progressives work even harder, which is what I assume the conservatives will do. I don't like it, but why do we expect different?
3. I subbed in 1st grade today and had this exchange with a student:
Me: My Mom always said "if you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all". I say that to my kids too.
Kid: Yeah, my Mom says that too.
Me: Moms are pretty smart, aren't they?
Kid: Yeah, and Dads are kinda half-smart.
4. It's supposed to reach the 40s here later this week. It can't come quick enough.
5. I've lived in Minnesota since 1997 and have YET to see a hockey game.
6. I had some chocolate ice cream the other night and had forgotten how wonderful it is. For reasons unknown I haven't had chocolate ice cream in about 4 years. Now root beer floats are another story.
7. My back hurts. Wretched ultra firm mattress!
8. Just finished three superb novels regarding the Holocaust: Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Jack and Rochelle, and The Book Thief. Highly recommend them all, in particular Jack and Rochelle, a true story. Have now started A Pocketful of Names.