Friday, August 20, 2010

Summer Kitchens


Remember Summer Kitchens?  Anybody living in very rural farmland knows what I mean.  Farms had a separate structure for the summer cooking, canning, and preserving to keep all that heat and steam out of the house.  And with all the canning and freezing I've been doing lately I'd appreciate a summer kitchen of my own.

My best childhood friend Lisa lived on a massive dairy farm.  Right outside their old frame farmhouse was the perfect summer kitchen.  They had long since quit using it for cooking.  But now I can imagine having a separate space with big stove burners, long worktables, and deep sinks.

In my next house, I'm going to plan a summer kitchen.  With air conditioning and central heat, wireless internet, killer pot racks, a commercial dishwasher, a tile floor with a drain right in the middle, maybe a wood fired oven and giant windows.  In my dreams I make a living canning and cooking all kinds of goodies, right there in my summer kitchen.  And of course there'd be a comfy stool for you and your coffee or iced tea so you can keep me company.

10 comments:

Dr. Monkey Von Monkerstein said...

Let me know when that kitchen is ready and I'll come on up.

MommyLisa said...

Can I spike my tea? ;)

lisahgolden said...

I'm dreaming right there with you.

Anonymous said...

A tile floor with a drain right in the middle?

Just what exactly are you planning to do with me when I visit?

Mnmom said...

Dr. MVM: you'll be the first guest!
Mommy Lisa: you can have anything you want my friend!
Lisa: I know you are.
Kirby: trust me, it won't hurt

Life As I Know It Now said...

And could you bake me a few pies while you're at it? :)

I'd pay you well and heck you might even start your own business!

Mnmom said...

Liberality - of course I will!!

Shannon said...

Love this!!! I remember my great-aunt and -uncle, who lived in a farm outside Crookston in northwestern MN, had a summer kitchen like this back in the day!

Whiskeymarie said...

How have I never thought of this? When I win the lottery I'll build us both one.

Churlita said...

As long as we can put a big comfy reading chair in there, I want one too.