Monday, February 21, 2011

A yin-yang weekend

A very weird weekend - filled with frivolous girly things and deep concerns for the Mideast and unions.


First the fun yin part:  Twin #1 and friends needed to be in downtown Minneapolis all day Friday, Friday night, and Saturday morning for All-State Music Festivals.  So we took advantage of the all-state discount and booked a room.  Then of course I invited a sister to go with me.  Sister Cheesecake Maven came along and we had a well-deserved yet wickedly expensive time.

Traveling Nicolett Avenue we discovered La Belle Crepe - a little tiny literal hole-in-the-wall serving amazing food for pennies.  They had French Sipping Chocolate which was coffee, dark chocolate, angel tears, ecstasy, eros, agape, and the collective sigh of humanity in a small cup.  DAMN that stuff was good!


For supper we splurged on fondue at The Melting Pot.  We ordered the full dinner for two starting with swiss cheese fondue, the assorted meats & seafood cooked in red wine broth, and ending with the dark chocolate fondue.  We both just crapped our pants with joy.  Below is someone else's photo, not mine.


Next morning was BACK to La Belle Crepe for breakfast - can you tell I'm in love?  Then on to Macy's for bra shopping.  Remember my post about the horrors of this?  Well "Donna" in Macy's intimates dept made it all better.

 Then the yang:  watching with horror the news Saturday morning that the Bahrain military had opened fire on unarmed civilians.  And each of us growing more disgusted with the Wisconsin GOP.  Seriously?  Cutting collective bargaining rights for a labor group?  I would agree that there can be some talk about cutting benefits, but bargaining rights should be a given.  I also understand that this GOP Governor very quickly squandered a surplus and wants to right the boat on the backs of working folks.  How very GOP of him.

11 comments:

MommyLisa said...

Will have to go in search of the crepe place some weekend. :)

Hubby is LIVID at WI Govenor...

Me too.

Unknown said...

Your splurge weekend get away sounds wonderful...yummm.
The Wisconsin fiasco is disgusting, I'm appalled at how politicians can be so removed from real people.

lisahgolden said...

That does sound like a great weekend. About Wisconsin? I'm without words at this point. And so much of the media does not get it.

Angie said...

Governor Doyle STOLE $200M from the Patient Compensation fund to balance his budget, the Supreme Ct of WI ruled it must be paid back which it hasn't yet. So Walker inherited Doyle's embezzlement. Here is a summary of the budget woes, not all of which Walker is responsible for. http://www.thegovmonitor.com/world_news/united_states/wisconsin-faces-136-7-million-budget-deficit-for-fy-2011-46037.html
As for the collective bargaining..state workers aren't doing a very good job, other than acting like crybabies, as to why it will be so horrible if it's taken away from them. The majority of us support Walker. Elections have consequences, we all learned that with Obama.

Churlita said...

Sounds like a ton of fun. too bad about the other bad juju. I have a bunch of friends who rallied in Madison this past weekend.

Coaster Punchman said...

The Wisconsin GOP should rot in hell.

Angie said...

Funny how civility just goes out the window when things don't go your way, Coaster Punchman. Here are some of the signs I saw at the rally, "Walker can Suck Deez Nuts," "Wulk Falker," "If teabaggers were as hot as their Fox News Anchors, then I'm here for the gangbang." Nice. Classy. Way to elevate the discussion.

Coaster Punchman said...

In case you have not lost total interest by this point, I have actually FINISHED my series on Melissa Gilbert (which kept you in suspense once upon a time) and it is running for 9 days, starting today, starting over from #1. Just letting you konw in case you wanted to see what happens!

Life As I Know It Now said...

We don't bring guns which is a BIG difference. We may grumble, we may even be rude, but we don't kill people. That is a BIG difference in my book.

michaelg said...

If you truly crapped your pants from joy, I'm glad I had to be out of town. I get enough unwanted ass smell at the gym.
Governor Walker can suck my balls. He's kind of cute in an anti-Christ sort of way.

Lesli said...

Yin: I want to try La Belle Crepe!

And I absolutely adore The Melting Pot as I am sure I have often said in my blog or on Facebook or somewhere!