Friday, December 31, 2010

New Year's Eve - not my favorite

So tonight we were supposed to have a cozy evening with friends.  Our kids had plans elsewhere so everything was set.  But then the freezing rain set in.  While in the grocery store buying goodies, our car developed a thick coat of ice.  So we made the wildly unpopular decision that our teen kids weren't traveling to friends' houses, far out in the country, for parties.  Some kids came to our place but plenty still went to the in-the-boonies party.  Making parental decrees is an inexact science subject to plenty of teen ridicule.

New Year's Eve has always been the raspberry seed in my wisdom tooth.  I've truly enjoyed maybe two of them in my life.  Often because the weather is dangerous or downright annoying.  It's supposed to be all fire-worky and noise-makery and kissy but somehow I just end up feeling cold, cranky, and ready for bed.  One of these years I'm going to get a stack of movies, a thermos of hot chocolate, my comfy pjs and invite Johnny C to join me on the couch.

Do YOU like New Year's Eve?

So welcome 2011 - whaddya got?  I'm hoping it's a nice fat bundle of money or a lucrative job offer for Johnny C.  And of course I want all the usual things like good health, peace, all the best for my friends, etc.
How about you?

8 comments:

Dr. Monkey Hussein Monkerstein said...

I like any holiday that finds me still alive. Happy new year to you my friend.

Kireliols said...

New Year's. pleh. It has never been a super terrific happy holiday for me. I have enjoyed making a party for my kids but I, myself, prefer to go to bed early.

I don't even care about that stupid ball OR Dick Clark.

Unknown said...

It's never been a big favorite of mine either, maybe because I'm not a big "party person". In balmy FL we had no rain or ice or even cold. The girls had @ a dozen friends over, and we made some snacks, had a fire in the fire pit, they played some Wii games and watched the ball drop, and everyone went home by 1am.
I wish for good health, some prosperity and many happy memories for all my friends, family and myself.

Anonymous said...

I did end up sitting by the fire pit last night. That's going to be my new New Year's thing. I never have liked big New Year's bashes.

SkylersDad said...

Back in my party days we called New Years "amateur night". Now I would just as soon spend the night comfy at home.

Shannon said...

I never liked NYE all that much back when there was some expectation to do something exciting. Now, though, I do like it, if only b/c we go to a huge annual family NYE part at the gymnastics club (our friends rent it out and invite tons of people and we eat a potluck supper halfway through and the whole thing is over by 7 so we can all go home and get our little kids to bed), and then once the girls are in bed all I do is watch TV or a movie in front of the fireplace. Oh, and I NEVER stay up till midnight. I read in bed and lights out around 10. Boring? Pathetic? Old? Maybe. But I like it.

Churlita said...

I've been there with the unpopular teen decision making..It's no fun, but they piss me off plenty, so I like to call us even. I hope your New Year is amazing.

MommyLisa said...

I like it because we go out of town with all our friends and all the kids. Its work, but its fun too.